Sunday, March 18, 2012

EDLD 5345 :Reflection - Administrator Interview-strategies for recruiting and retaining high-quality teachers and administrators

Recruiting and retaning high qualified staff is very difficult in a rural area with high minority and low income households.  My district has put into place a stipend for teachers that are certified in areas such as bilingual, math, and science.  It is very difficult to keep these high qualified teachers when competing districts are promising more money and better conditions.  My district currently has hire freeze but usually organizes job fairs at regional colleges and Education centers to obtain teachers.  We also recruit a lot of teachers from the North and Midwest to come to our district because our state pays more to teachers.  My district also participates in the alternative certification program in order to obtain highly qualified individuals with college degrees from the business world.  In hopes of retaining teachers, my district has in place a loyalty stipend where you are paid more for every year that you stay with the district.  At this time the loyalty pay is on hold due to the lack of funds.  Due to the current economic conditions it is difficult for any district to hold on to qualified teachers because many are running back into the business world. Many teachers are feeling underappreciated and underpaid. 
I found that recruiting and retaining teachers is very difficult for many districts.  I would try to recruit former students of the district.  I say this because I am a former student of the district and I was recruited by an old principal.  The idea that I would be helping the students that were just like me actually was a deciding factor for me to choose my current district.  The grow your own method may be helpful.  Since salaries and location is not really optional, we must be creative and assertive with our goal of recruiting and retaining the best.  I think showing appreciation to your current teachers for their hardwork is essential to retaining teachers.  Ensuring that your teachers knowing that you value their efforts and commitment could retain the best teachers who just wanted some acknowledgment for their hardwork and dedication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment